Kitchen appliances are one of the major items to look at carefully when buying a property. When looking at the Row House, we were excited to find out that it had gas hook up for the kitchen, but the stove itself was very old and we assumed it would need replacing within a year. The dishwasher had never worked and the fridge, while it worked fine, was very small.
In April the inevitable happened and the oven stopped working. The gas burners still worked so after a couple weeks of eating exclusively stovetop dinners we admitted it was time to start looking at kitchen appliances. We quickly realized it was going to be a better decision for us to buy all three (and leverage economies of scale to get discounts!). We waited until now to do this review to give ourselves time to really use them.
Our criteria for the kitchen appliances were:
- stainless finish
- energy efficient
- french door, bottom freezer drawer fridge
- gas range (with self cleaning oven)
- stainless steel interior dishwasher
After a couple weeks of internet research and checking out appliances in store we ended up purchasing the from Lastman’s Bad Boy . We were thisclose to buying from The Brick, but they weren’t willing to match the price offered by Bad Boy. Tip: always comparison shop and ask for price matching (or better), oh and always ask for free delivery too!
We didn’t originally set a budget for the appliances since we only “needed” a new range/stove, so with the decision to purchase all three we immediately surpassed whatever budget would have covered one single appliance. We were careful when looking to stay in the mid-range for prices and be realistic about balancing all the super-cool high-end features we drooled over with what we could reasonably afford. It was not our intention to get matching appliances for our whole house but we have been happy with our Maytag washer and dryer (you can read the review here) so that was the first brand we checked out and found some really high quality options in our price range.
These are the three kitchen appliances we purchased:
- Maytag French Door Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator
- Maytag 5.8 cu. ft. Capacity Gas Range with EvenAir True Convection and Power Preheat
- Maytag Jetclean Plus Dishwasher
What we love about our Maytag kitchen appliances:
- size (it JUST fit through the doorway, any larger and we’d have to return it)
- ice maker and water dispenser (we didn’t have this on our original list but now I don’t know how we ever lived without it… and the dispenser lights up at night!)
- 5 burners
- large window on the oven
- removable griddle
- glasses come out sparkling (for real, its heavenly)
What we don’t love:
- we’ve noticed a little bit of condensation on the seal between the doors; there’s a humidity control feature so we’ve turned it on and it seems to have worked to fix this issue
- the door of the oven gets hot to touch when cooking for an extended period of time (We’ve been told this is fairly common with stainless finish appliances so we aren’t too concerned)
- on the normal cycle the pots/pans have a bit of residue left (not food, soap), so they need to washed separately using the pots/pans cycle
Other than a few minor concerns we are really happy with the kitchen appliance choices we made.
Disclaimer We purchased these appliances with our own money and did not receive any compensation for this review. This review is our own honest opinion of our experience using these products.